Goals - Set Them
"Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I'll give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I'll give you a stock clerk."
Stating the Obvious.
- How are you doing? You will never know if you can not compare actual results to your expectations. Your expectations are in effect a goal.
- If you run a special on Ethiopian Yrgacheffe or Yemen Mocca, tell your staff how many pounds you want to sell. Divide the total into each person's share and give the one who outperforms everyone else the gift of ...a movie.
- Measure everything in sight. Rare is the bird that does this. Rare is the business that lasts twenty years.
- Know your traffic patterns, sales per person, per day, day of the month, month of the year.
- Know the freshness of your coffee. Freshness is king in coffee.
- Dump old coffee. Dump old brewed coffee. Just don't ever take the easy way out and sell old stuff – short term gain, long term mistake.